Welcome
Welcome to creatrtips

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Printing without stickers on the printing bed

Please Use hash tags. We'll separate them up later if neccessary

Printing without stickers on the printing bed

Postby carlotoffolo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:17 pm

I finished my stickers and I have to print some objects... new stickers should arrive but the waiting time is too long.
Do you think stickers or kapton tape is strictly needed to print?
Is it possible to print directly on the glass of the printing bed? If not, may I use some sliding sheet as the ones used in the laser printers?

Thanks.
carlotoffolo

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Printing without stickers on the printing bed

Postby Arno_Millenaar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Not sure where you are located, however if you are able to buy 3DLac, you will never, ever, use stickers again (!).

see also my post from some time ago: http://creatrtips.freeforums.org/bed-adhesion-t17-20.html?hilit=3DLac#p1083

Also check out the following post: http://creatrtips.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=120&hilit=%20UHU

However if you remove the sticker and move to for example 3DLac, you will need to recalibrate your nozzle distance from your bed as you will have removed a 0.10mm layer.

BTW: 3DLac can be easily cleaned and removed with some tissue and warm water. Easy and no mess at all .. also spray modestly. In the beginning i used way to much. Only a layer of 'fog' is enough ..

I have most recently have been using 3DLac to print Polycarbonate at a bed surface temperature of 145 Celsius with great results. This 'stuff'' doesn't even 'burn' at these temperatures, however please do re-apply after such high temperatures. Just to avoid any confusion, the original Creatr will not reach this level of Bed temperatures .. I just mentioned this level of 'range' that 3DLac supports as I was not expecting it to work at these temperatures ..

Arno_Millenaar has been thanked by:
Arno_Millenaar

Have thanks: 52 time

Postby kunkmiester » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:37 pm

I've read of using acrylic floor finish to coat the glass. I still have stickers so I haven't tried it, but have read it works well with ABS. You want the clear stuff, not just paint as I understand, best to do some research on that.

kunkmiester has been thanked by:
kunkmiester

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Festus440 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 am

I have a friend (different printer) that prints PLA directly on the glass at 60C. He says it works but the glass needs to be immaculately clean.

I use glue stick (Elmers Permanent Craft Bond or UHU). A thin coat when cold and then a little more with the bed heated to 60C just before printing. Has worked fine for both ABS and PLA. It also cleans up with some warm water. You can usually use it several times by just adding a little more.

Festus440 has been thanked by:
Festus440

Have thanks: 23 time

Postby carlotoffolo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 pm

On my Creatr XL I'm printing directly on a piece of glass put on the bed. It works perfectly with ABS and with HIPS. Never tried to extrude PLA for the moment but I think it should work with it too.

Sometimes I work on the glass after cleaning it perfectly with some acetone; sometimes it seems to be required some "personal" glue made with a little bit of abs and acetone - in a very liquid state: just touching the bed with a glued brush.

Now I'm trying to do the same with the creatr HS; but it's not the same... I need more time to solve adhesion problems - maybe the printers is too fast; but now I'm struggling with connection problems with this printer!
carlotoffolo

Postby Oggie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:04 am

I use a water soluble glue stick, Elemers purple stick was my first choice you can see it go on and dries clear. Best of all the glass just cleans with a wet kitchen towel and scraper. Works for PLA at 30 degrees C and ABS 60 degrees C. Just one layer rubbed on.
I have xtra hold hairspary that works ok, but a mission to clean. Glue sticks rock! That's all I use now.
Oggie

Postby gleung » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I've used UHU glue stick for PLA and it works great.

Then I bought some 3DLAC to try. I was skeptical at first.. but holy crap I am a believer now. The stuff is amazing ABS printed right on glass with bonds so strong when the bed is hot I cannot pull it off (even at 60 deg). Let the bed cool off and the piece pretty well pops off on its own -- and it doesn't take a lot to do it either.. a 30 second spritz for the first application -- just enough to "frost" the glass and less than 10 secs between prints to touch up where the last parts were printed.

It smells a bit strange.. like cheap candy and solvent and I'm not sure if there is a "bed life" where I need to strip the bed clean and reapply but so far in the last week I've just been doing touch ups and the prints are holding strong.
gleung

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby zuurik » Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 am

Hi guys,

I ran out of stickers with in a month or so, and tested all kinds of things, painters tapes (different kinds), kapton, glue stick. all of them kinda worked but i had more failed prints then successful ones, and the last thing I tried and have been using ever since, is acetone mixed with natural ABS. I Pore the mix on the build area where i'm going to print and then spread it. then I let sit for a minute and the acetone evaporates and I'm left with abs film. and if bed is heated the evaporating process is faster, but if to hot then the acetone evaporates so fast that it boils out of the material and gives a porous finish.
zuurik

Return to General Tips and Tricks