Welcome
Welcome to creatrtips

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LEAPFROG ELECTRONICS BOARD LAYOUT

From wires to motors to controller boards

LEAPFROG ELECTRONICS BOARD LAYOUT

Postby Boschkabouter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 pm

CREATR-ELECTRONICS-BOARD.PDF
(63.04 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Froggers,

Enclosed you find a lay out drawing i made of the Leapfrog eletronics board with the connections and to which device they are connected. For some of the connectors I don’t know what their function is. But I assume that there are some froggers who know these.
Please let me know so I can complete the drawing and update it to the forum for general interest.

Regards
Boschkabouter
Attachments
CREATR-ELECTRONICS-BOARD.PDF
(63.04 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Boschkabouter

Have thanks: 5 time

Re: LEAPFROG ELECTRONICS BOARD LAYOUT

Postby illladelph » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:21 am

I have updated the schematic to include all unlisted pins.

I am unsure of the last two pins on the right of the 5x2 header pin, and I listed them as "NC?". I am not sure if there is any connection to anything on those two pins, at least I couldn't find anything, although I find it unusual for there to be two empty pins.

One thing I noticed that is interesting is the extra 2 MOSFETs on D16 and D17. They are the same MOSFETs on all the extruder/fan outputs so there are 3 open MOSFETs total all 24V switched, with D7 reserved for fans in Marlin if you want to add it. If Marlin is ever updated to support 2 fans, one of these extras can be used for fans, and the other could be used for any other 24V accessories, although I am not sure what else you could add.

Another interesting aspect of the board is the 5x2 header mentioned previously. It has all the SPI connections broken out plus a few extra digital I/Os and +5V/ground. I was recently made aware that this is the same control board used on the Xeed, which utilizes a tablet, and I am thinking this might be the connector for it.

Attachments
CREATR-ELECTRONICS-BOARD.pdf
(4.52 MiB) Downloaded 376 times

illladelph has been thanked by:
illladelph

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby Arno_Millenaar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:42 am

illladelph wrote:I have updated the schematic to include all unlisted pins.

WOW nice job, thanks for the effort !
Rgds, Arno
Arno_Millenaar

Have thanks: 52 time

Postby BobtheBeeman » Mon May 05, 2014 7:21 am

Hello Illadelph, Arno
Thank you for the great work that you have done with that board layout. I am just in the process of mustering the knowledge, and courage to rebuild my creatr. First I must replace the heated print bed with something that stays accurate and flat. I also now have a failed control board of the new design (Traco Power unit DC/DC is primary failure perhaps not only), and am changing back to the previous boards, the Arduino mega2560 R3 with a ramp board. I can find 3D Printer RAMPS 1.4 Control Board Arduino Mega Shield which seems to suit to add, but as i read it, I need to add stepper motor controls.
I opted not to go to Leapfrog for their new board, decided not to spend any more of my money there, and chose a more open architecture path, rightly or wrongly. now I seek every piece of information that i can get to make the conversion of my Leapfrog back to this board. I will add the common earth, I had those print stoppage problems early on, just didn't get the answer and blamed external power surges. They were a factor, but the common earth is logical to include. I am in Australia so remote from the backup and I am so much still a beginner at all of this.

Does anyone have suggestions/diagrammes on what more i will need to do the conversion? Is there a board layout diagramme for the Arduino equivalent to what has just been produced for the customised Leapfrog board?

I have already improvised an enclosure to stabilise bed and printing temperatures to start my ABS, but it is not as refined as on this forum. Must look into that. So much tidier. And I am browsing the various threads to find other suggestions to include. So many remind me of all the issues of the past 10 months.

So much to think about

Bob
BobtheBeeman

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby BobtheBeeman » Mon May 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Hello all
In my search for components I have found the Arduino Mega 2560 R1 and R3. I automatically thought R3, it must be newer and updated. I can however here in Australia get this combination
https://www.bilbycnc.com.au/DispProd.as ... KitRAMSand
This gives me the Ramps board that I now know that I need, thanks to Taurean, stepper motor components. I don't think that i need the end stops, unless ther is the ability to add an extra one in the Leapfrog, it needs one at the bottom end of travel of the Z-axis as with the current build and design, that screw bearing can self-destruct. That I know, I have done it. FWIW, they can be refurbished, by the right places, no need to replace.
Back to electronics,, my question is "Are the components listed in the kit on the site above, all that I will need for my conversion from the Leapfrog customised board back to Arduino?"
Abolutely any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, and with electronics I am even more of a newbie than with 3d printing. I will no doubt ask some silly questions.
Thanks for having this forum so these questions can be asked
Bob
BobtheBeeman

Postby Arno_Millenaar » Wed May 07, 2014 9:37 am

BobtheBeeman wrote:Hello all
In my search for components I have found the Arduino Mega 2560 R1 and R3. I automatically thought R3, it must be newer and updated. I can however here in Australia get this combination
https://www.bilbycnc.com.au/DispProd.as ... KitRAMSand
This gives me the Ramps board t.........................
Thanks for having this forum so these questions can be asked
Bob

Hi Bob,

yes this kit will give you all you need and the switched will be 'extra' .. The only thing you may be missing is an Extra MosFet sswitch in case you want to control an extra cooling Fan as the RAMPs 1.4 only has 3 switched (2 for the extruder and one for the bed) I have not looked for this, however I remember to have seen extra MosFet switches as external kits and/or you can make one yourself with only a few components.

Rgds,

Arno
Arno_Millenaar

Have thanks: 52 time

Postby BobtheBeeman » Thu May 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks for that Arno. Interesting challenges ahead, although in the meantime, a Replicator 2x is looking very attractive.
BobtheBeeman

Postby ads » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you for the drawing.
It was very helpfull when figuring out how to connect a lcd to this board.

When checking i noticed a few minor mistakes.
On the outputs D17 and D16 the + and - should be the other way around.
Instead of - + it should be + -

On the reset connector (left from the z-axis end stop) the pins should be changed.
Instead of GND RST it should be RST GND

On the tree pin connector marked as GND +5V D47 it should be GND +5V D45

I hope the drawing can be changed to prevent mistakes.
ads

Have thanks: 8 time

Postby bonm014 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:41 am

Updated pin layout, corrected the MISO and MOSI pins ;-)

bonm014

Return to Electronics